You’re the kind of person who can look around and see a dozen broken experiences. You’re itching to fix the registration site used to register for classes and the million-page student aid form … that awful wayfinding system on campus? Well, you’ve got ideas for that too. You probably haven’t solved these problems on your own, but we suspect you want to. Does this sound like you? If so, we’d love to talk to you.
Let’s face it, lots of organizations say they want their products to have amazing UX, but very few have a culture and leadership to make that possible. As a UX Design Intern at Expel, you’ll be working for a company that has user experience as a founding capability and market differentiator, with champions in the executive leadership.
We are offering a paid internship for the Summer of 2019 that will report to the Director of User Experience. The intern will be collaborating with a team of seasoned designers and developers, will own and complete your own design projects, and be able to see how well your designs perform in the live product. On top of that, we will give you hands-on experience of how software products are made at a startup, warts and all.
Oh, and speaking of startups … you’ll get to experience some of those perks too. Like a casual dress code, a stocked kitchen full of snacks, and free lunch Wednesdays!
Interested? Apply via firstname.lastname@example.org.
What Expel can do for you
- Give you an insider view of the tense and exciting world of cybersecurity, including how hackers work, how breaches get detected, and how companies respond
- Put you side-by-side with our internal users so you can do plenty of user research
- Expose you to the lean UX approach of outcomes-based design, experimentation, and fast iteration
- Put you in the trenches with stakeholders, engineers, and analysts as you help define use cases, requirements, and constraints
- Refine your UX deliverables: wireframes, workflows, prototypes, JIRA tickets, and specifications with regular critique sessions
- Level-up your communication chops as you participate in status meetings, critiques, kickoffs, and workshops
- Help you build a portfolio-worthy case study that will showcase your experience at Expel
What you can do for Expel
- Work closely with designers, QA team, and developers to design, build, and test new features
- Work with the UX team to use and develop consistent styles, reusable design patterns, and elegant micro-interactions
- Take a hands-on approach to quality that includes testing UI features, writing issue tickets, and monitoring the product for regressions and usability issues
What you should bring with you
- A strong desire and ability to constantly learn and improve yourself and your work products
- Strong wireframing and prototyping skills in Sketch or Axure
- The ability to communicate and work effectively with others
- Flexibility, creativity, and good humor (we’re a startup, remember)
What’s not in this job description, on purpose
- Domain knowledge. If you already know something about cybersecurity, that’s fantastic. If you don’t, we’ll get you up to speed, never fear
- Laundry list of software skills. We don’t expect our interns to have a ton of experience using enterprise software like Jira, Confluence, Slack, or Google Docs. But we do expect you to pick up a few things along the way
- Coding. We have people for that, although you’ll be expected to gain some idea what’s beneath the surface of the UI
This internship will be based out of our offices in Herndon, Virginia. We aren’t considering remote work for this position at this time.
This is a summer internship. We will work with you to discuss start and end dates, as well as figuring out your schedule.
We’re only hiring those authorized to work in the United States.
We’re an Equal Opportunity Employer: You’ll receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability.
We do not currently sponsor immigration visas.
Interested? Apply via email@example.com.