Do the job titles Human Resources Generalist or HR business Partner frustrate you and prompt you to dream up more creative solutions that better explain the expertise and passion you bring to your work each day? Are you someone who loves the work you get to do each day helping people and companies grow, and think it’s time for a bit of disruption in HR? If so, you’ll probably want to keep reading.
At Expel, we tend to do things a bit unconventionally, and this extends to how we think about our people. Frankly, the fact that treating people well is so unconventional is a travesty. We care about creating a phenomenal employee experience. We believe that if our priority is taking care of our team, they’ll care for our customers, and the rest will work itself out.
Interested, but not quite sure yet what you’ll do to support this mission? Let’s get a bit more clear.
You’ll have an opportunity to help make Expel a place everyone wants to work. This includes caring that every employee learns and grows in a way that prepares them for their next role, whether at Expel or elsewhere. You’ll be responsible for day-to-day operations of a wide range of Employee Experience programs. You’ll help ensure our people have the benefits support they need, that the management team has the tools they need to make decisions about compensation and performance, that you’re fostering the kind of environment in which we can build happy relationships, and of course, that we’re following relevant employment law.
Are you ready to help us grow our tribe? If so, we’d love to hear from you.
Interested? Apply via email@example.com.
What Expel can do for you
- Connect you with peers that care deeply about helping our fellow human beings develop into the best they can be
- Give you the opportunity to try new things and work with a team who cares a lot about making Expel an awesome place to work
- Provide you the freedom to jump right in, lead, and make a difference with smart people who love learning, solving complex puzzles, and engage in wide-ranging shenanigans
- Support you in growing your own career, especially if you want experience in a start-up environment
What you can do for Expel
- Help us build an environment that is culture++ (incrementally additive)
- Provide daily management and support for the delivery of effective people programs, including performance, compensation, learning, and operations
- Coach and guide employees and managers do their best work
- Offer expertise and guidance to ensure we remain current on employment and benefits laws and regulations, including owning all employment-related compliance filings and reports
- Establish and improve operations, policies and procedures that are effective yet human-readable
- Work with our benefits broker to support benefits administration, including acting as the bridge between the broker and employees, when necessary
- Help drive continuous improvement in our employee experience by providing support for metrics and preparing reports on trends
What you should bring with you
- Ability to provide coaching, and feedback to others while helping them develop the skills to do the same
- Familiarity with compensation management schemes like evaluating against market data and broad-banding
- Ability to use creative problem-solving techniques to address age-old problems instead of tried and tired “standard HR practices”
- A strong business sense, including understanding how work gets done across teams to meet Expel priorities, and why it’s being done in the first place
- Firm understanding of current employment law and track record of remaining current
- Strong active listening, conflict management, and conversational skills
- Attention to detail and the ability to consistently set and meet expectations
- Comfort working across a variety of SaaS applications related to HR and recruiting, and the curiosity to explore new options to streamline operations
Education and Experience
- 5+ years of professional experience in relevant roles within a HR/People team
- A bachelor’s degree in a related field, or an equivalently compelling series of life experiences
- Familiarity with one or more core HRIS systems, MS Office, and/or G-Suite
- Professional certification in Human Resources is helpful, but not required
We’re looking to hire someone to work from our offices in Herndon, Virginia.
We’re an Equal Opportunity Employer: You’ll receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability.
We’re only hiring those authorized to work in the United States. We do not currently sponsor immigration visas.
Interested? Apply via firstname.lastname@example.org.